Detective Inspector Anne Rannard from the National County Lines Coordination Centre has put together a helpful list of potential signs.
- Being in possession of more than one mobile phone.
- Do they have any obvious signs of wealth?
- Do they appear nervous / unfamiliar with the area?
- Are they travelling at unusual times / travelling out of their home area? (Possession of train or bus tickets).
- Are they making / receiving excessive calls or texts?
- Are they avoiding staff / police?
- Has their behaviour changed – secretive or withdrawn or isolating from peers?
- Are they going missing / unexplained absences from school, college, training, work or appointments?
- Have they talked about being in debt?
- Are they missing their bank card / is there any unusual activity on their account?
- Have they been found with large quantities of drugs or weapons?
- Expressions around invincibility, or not caring what happens – ‘others have their back?’
- Possession of hotel keys or cards or keys to unknown premises.
- Entering or leaving vehicles/taxis with unknown adult.
- New friendships, often with the use of nicknames.
Downloadable posters and awareness raising resources are available at https://www.theclewerinitiative.org/resources/awareness-downloads