Many factors drive this inhuman crime. Here are six we notice and are not going away anytime soon:
• an increasing number of vulnerable people who can be susceptible to false promises and desperate for money
• an increasing distance between employers and those who work for them plus the growth in agency working and long and complex supply chains
• the desire in all of us for cheap goods and services. The key is the low price, not how anything has been produced
• the increasing sophistication of criminal gangs
• what Pope Francis calls the globalisation of indifference. We are all so busy trying to look after ourselves, often looking at our screens, that we don’t notice others
• the climate crisis and mass migration.