The Diocese in Europe ministers to those in Europe who have English as either a first or second language. The Diocese in Europe is organised into seven regions known as archdeaconries.
Over the last few years, the Clewer Initiative has been working closely with The Diocese in Europe to contextualise our Hidden Voices training course for an Italian context, reflecting the unique challenges of modern slavery and exploitation in Italy. This work of taking the general resource and adapting it for a specific country could be rolled out across Europe - if you are interested in finding out more about the process, please get in touch with Caireen Warren.
Hidden Voices in Italy
Hidden Voices is one of the Clewer Initiative’s central pieces of training. It is a brilliant resource which has been designed to help churches and communities respond to modern slavery. It is based on a community resilience approach, which equips participants with the knowledge to understand modern slavery and exploitation; identify and support victims and apply this knowledge to a specific context. It also encourages participants to form action groups and put concrete plans in place.
Hidden Voices is available in Italian and English, and is written in five modules:
- Setting the Scene
- Exploitation in Agriculture and Construction
- Sexual Exploitation and Domestic Servitude
- Action planning
All the modules include biblical reflections and practical tools and activities as well as case studies to help people see how they might already be coming across modern slavery without knowing it.
By the end of Hidden Voices, we hope that individuals and groups will feel inspired to start taking action in their own community. They might not have all the answers, but they will certainly know where to start!
Graduates from the most recent Hidden Voices Italy course have:
- started running modern slavery training for volunteers at a local Refugee Centre
- appointed a local modern slavery champion in their church, ready to provide support for any victims of modern slavery or people at risk of exploitation
- put up awareness posters in Refugee Centres, churches and community centres - providing information to both potential victims and volunteers
- organised an in-person community event in Rome about the risk of exploitation to homeless people (see below for more information)
Churches Together in Rome - a fellowship that comprises English language congregations of the Protestant, Anglican, and Catholic churches in Rome - piloted Hidden Voices (Italy version) in Winter 2022/2023. Twelve people attended the course and provided detailed feedback to help with revisions. The course has been thoroughly contextualised and translated into Italian. It is now ready for national rollout.